As a college student, you barely have the money to buy the healthiest meals, yet you must get the best to ensure you have the maximum energy reserve to endure your daily college lectures routine. While the typical healthy meals remain costly, you can still work with a limited budget to get a decent meal. All you have to do is understand your neighborhood, what it has to offer, and a few tricks in meal planning.
Why take a cheap healthy meal as a college student? The field of academia is relatively tough. It demands that one be able to present themselves in the best way, particularly during the lectures and when handling the assignments. However, it might be difficult to concentrate and master class concepts when hungry. Such occurrences necessitate consideration of options that offer better energy reserves and encourage improved attentiveness in class. Therefore, this article focuses on cheap healthy meals for college students, presenting some of the best options and tips to help in decision-making.
Best Healthy Cheap Food for College Students
Healthy foods aren’t cheap. However, if you know how to go about your way at the grocery, then you will likely eat the best meals. Here is a list of the foods you can have as a college student, at an affordable price:
- Rolled oats
Oatmeal is one of the cheap healthy meals for college students. The biggest advantage is that the oats aren’t easily perishable. For this reason, you can buy the foods in bulk and consume them slowly. Further, the foods go well with all recipes, making it an ideal choice for students looking to have a one-size-fits-all type of meal.
- Baked potatoes
A baked potato is cheap, nutritious and one of the easiest meals to prepare. The ingredients are easy to find and go at considerably low prices at the grocery. In addition, potatoes go well with most other types of foods, so you don’t have to worry about getting the right accompaniment for your meals. For this reason, it stands out as a cheap healthy food for college students looking to cut on their budgetary needs.
- Grilled cheese and tomato soup
This is another easy meal to prepare. The ingredients are readily available in grocery stores for very low prices. As a result, it is one of the cheapest meals any college student can have, especially for those living within the school compound, usually the hostels. The good thing is that you can prepare the food in bulk and use the leftovers at other times. Therefore, this is the best option for you if you are looking for a helpful and cost-saving meal.
Lentils are a great addition to cheap healthy recipes for college students. They are protein-rich and great food for vegans. When looking for healthy and cheap meals, lentils should be at the top of the list. They come in handy when preparing various cuisines and offer the satisfaction you might be looking for in a wholesome meal. As a student looking to work with a budget, lentils should never miss in the plan.
- Scrambled eggs and toast
If you are looking for a meal with the highest level of nutrients, consider eggs. These are the greatest sources of proteins. Nothing is easier, better, and more nutritious than eggs for breakfast. The good thing is that you can include toast or butter toppings. Therefore, if you want a meal that can help you save time in preparation and still offer you the utmost satisfaction, then this might be the best.
- Chicken and veggies
This recipe’s ingredients are easy to find. The meal features cheap healthy food for students looking to build their bodies while saving on food costs. Preparation is simple and doesn’t take much time. In addition, the leftover chicken and veggies can be useful in other meals. The versatility of the menu and the ability to use it alongside other types of meals is one thing that is guaranteed to give you the best experience. Thus, it is one of the best meals if you live alone and need to save on the costs.
Understanding what healthy food is without having a plan is not beneficial in any way. Since hiring a nutritionist may be expensive, the best option is to work with one from a professional paper writing service, such as CustomWritings. The USA-based company has expert writers from various disciplines, including nutrition. As a result, they can write all kinds of papers from scratch at a personalized level. The quality of the papers is usually outstanding, so you won’t have to worry about their accuracy. For this reason, they might be the best way to outsource your writing assignment, so you get an expertly-reviewed meal plan that guarantees you a healthy life.
How to Choose Healthy Cheap Food for College Students
Eating cheap, healthy food for college students demands proper planning. As a student, you must understand what you are looking for and work toward developing a concrete plan to ensure the task is done to completion and with the needed level of accuracy. The same logic applies when dealing with the issue of healthy eating, especially when you are a resident of college dorms. Here are some of the tips to keep in mind as you work toward crafting cheap healthy food recipes.
- Plan your meals: the best way to guarantee you eat healthy food is to have a proper meal plan. Write a recipe to help you budget for all your meals so you can buy the ingredients quickly and ensure you don’t consume junk food.
- Stick to your grocery list: making cheap healthy foods for students is easy when junk doesn’t appear on the grocery list. As a student, stick to what you have written in the list, so you don’t spend on unnecessary foodstuff. An advantage of maintaining such discipline is that you will only spend some of your money and spare the extras for other important things.
- Always cook at home: the best way to ensure you eat healthy meals is to cook at home. Most food vendors care about their profits. As a result, they end up using products that would guarantee maximum returns, leaving the consumers to suffer the consequences. So, if you want healthy meals, it would be advisable to cook them at home. An advantage of this is that the food will be affordable, allowing you to save some coins that might be helpful in other activities.
- Cook considerable portions and utilize the food leftovers: as a student, time is usually a factor to consider in all engagements. Living alone is the cheapest option in terms of meal expenses since you get to use smaller portions and minimize wastage. If you want to save money on your meals, the best option is to adopt the style.
- Always shop when you aren’t hungry: hunger is one of the things that promote impulse buying. It makes you think more of satisfaction than healthy meals. When you go shopping while hungry, you may buy things that might never be useful. In addition, you are likely to deviate away from the idea of healthy eating. Hence, the best option is to avoid it and see yourself lead a better lifestyle.
Cheap healthy meals for college students are more of a need than a want. Students undergo a lot of pressure while pursuing their academic majors. As a result, they need to get the best meals to ensure a good energy reserve as they go through the academic programs. This article has outlined some meal options and tips to keep in mind as you build your meal plan. We hope it is of great assistance.
If you like this article about cheap healthy food for college students, please share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also, you can subscribe to my blog to get all the latest articles first on your mobile.
SHARING IS CARING!
Did you like this recipe and make it later at home? SAVE this pin to your favourite board on Pinterest!