Aloo Mutter is a Punjabi dish that belongs to the Indian subcontinent (Indian Cuisine). This recipe is based on potato, pea and tomato gravy which is very tasty to eat. It is also spelled as Aloo Mattar or Aloo Matar.
While this Indian food is not available in all restaurants, but you can find it in several Dhaba, where it is served with hot Flatbread or rumali roti or nan bread. However, I prefer to make this recipe at home, because the taste of home-made is nowhere to be found outside. You can make this potato curry with just a few basic ingredients in your kitchen. Make it today without worrying about wasting time.
If you want to know what the ingredients are, I would say that potatoes and green peas are the main ingredients of this recipe. Also, another special advantage of home-cooking is that you can cook with green chili (raw cilantro) in this recipe, which is my favorite thing (because I don’t like to eat red chili powder). As a substitute, you can use Kashmiri Red chili powder for color.
You can make two versions of this recipe using the same method. Dry Aloo Mutter and Aloo Mutter Gravy. The method is the same, just add less water when making the dry version, only enough and give a little more water when making gravy.
This recipe can be made with onion and garlic if desired, but I have cooked here without onion & garlic. Because there are many vegetarian people in India who do not like to eat onions and garlic. Thinking about them, I cooked this recipe completely without onion-garlic. That means it is a completely vegetarian recipe. Believe me, it tastes great except onion-garlic.
Can I make this Aloo Matar or Aloo Mutter in Pressure Cooker?
Yes, you can cook it in a pressure cooker if you want. However, I would always recommend cooking it in a slow cooker method, as it tastes very good.
First, cut the potatoes and half-boiled in the pressure cooker with 3 whistles. Then take them out and put them in a bowl. Then put 2 teaspoons of oil in that pressure cooker and put all the dried spices in it. Thereafter add the onion tomatoes paste. Also, add all the powdered spices. Then add the green peas and the fried potatoes. Stir well for 1 minute with 1 tablespoon sauce, salt, and sugar to taste. Add 2 cups of water, stir with hot spice powder and cover the lid of the pressure. Pressure cook them and wait for three more whistles and your homemade Aloo Matar is ready. Also, you can be called this method a One-pot Recipe.
Is this Aloo Matar recipe has any Instant Pot version?
Just like a pressure cooker, you can make this Alo Matar in the instant pot if you want. But as a result, the green peas are afraid to melt. So follow what I say. First of all, paste all the vegetables together except potatoes and peas.
Now take an instant pot and add the oil and then the dry spices and then the pasted vegetables. Add sauce, salt, sugar, and hot spices. Add 2 cups of water [Also, you can follow the same method of Pressure cooker process.]. Then press the ‘pressure cook’ button on the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 1 minute. Then open the lid and add the green peas and cook for another 2 minutes. Very easy way to make your Aloo Mutter (Potato Pea curry) in Instant Pot.
How to make Aloo Mutter or Aloo Matar with step by step photos?
1. First, cut the potatoes into dice. Also, cut the tomatoes into separate containers. (After cutting the potatoes, rinse thoroughly with water. Wash them thoroughly before slicing the tomatoes.)
2. In a mixer grinder, paste the chopped onion (optional), chili, ginger well, and place in a bowl.
3. If you want to add cashew nuts paste then do it too as you may not get time to do it later.
4. Put a pan on the gas and heat the oil in it.
5. Then add bay leaves, black pepper, cardamom, cumin seeds, and cloves and fry for a few seconds. This will leave a nice aroma of spices that will help make your recipe more delicious.
6. Add Potatoes and fry until they become half boiled. There after put them out.
7. Then add the chopped tomatoes and saute a little. You can use 1 pinch of salt to expedite the process. Keep the flame on medium heat.
8. Now add the onion, ginger, and green chili paste and stir well.
9. Then add all the powdered spices like cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, and a little hot spice powder. Now stir the mixture well.
10. When you see that the mixture has started to release the oil, you will realize that it has been sauteing perfectly. Then add the green peas.
11. Then add the fried potatoes and mix well. (You can add chopped coriander leaves if desired.)
12. Add 1 tablespoon tomato sauce and mix well. This time, add some sugar to taste.
13. Now add water to make the gravy.
14. Saute for few minutes then check if the potatoes are boiled properly, then add garam masala powder (hot spice powder), stir gently, and turn off the gas. Your delicious homemade Aloo Matar recipe is ready to serve.
Few tips from me:
- You can add Kasuri Methi powder (dry fenugreek leaves) while cooking the gravy, which gives it a very nice flavor and taste.
- I recommend using homemade Hot spice powder, which has a nice aroma.
- Also, you can add cashew peat in this recipe because that can give a nice taste in your Aloo Mutter. The best time to add this paste is at the time of sauteing all spices with tomato. for this reason, the cashew gets time to release his test.
Aloo Mutter Recipe | Homemade Alo Matar
- 500 grams Potato medium size (peeled and diced)
- 1 piece Onion medium (chopped)
- 2 piece Tomato medium size (chopped)
- ½ inch Ginger
- 3 piece Green chili or Raw Clinatro
- ½ tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder (optional if you don't use red chili powder)
- 4 tbsp Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Sugar as per taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ tbsp Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves) crushed (optional)
- 1 tbsp Cashew Nuts paste
- 2 pieces Bay Leaf
- ½ inch Cinamon Stick
- 2 pieces Cloves
- 3-4 pieces Black pepper
- ½ tbsp Garam Masala powder
- Take the chopped onion, ginger, and green chili in a grinder. Blend to a smooth paste without adding any water. Keep this paste in a small bowl.
- Heat a pan with 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add all dry spices like bay leaves, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom, and black pepper. Fry a little. You can feel a nice smell comes out.
- Add the diced potatoes along with 1/2 tbsp of salt and 1/2 tbsp of turmeric powder. Fry well until the potatoes are half boiled. (Also, you can do this in a pressure cooker easily, but I recommend to so this method to get the original Indian food flavor)
- After that put off the potatoes from pan and keep aside.
- Add chopped tomatoes in the same pan and saute a little. You can add a pinch of salt to make this process faster. Keep the flame on medium heat.
- Also, add the Onion & ginger paste to it and stir continuously.
- When you see that the mixture has started to release the oil, you will realize that it has been sauteing perfectly. Then add the green peas.
- Thereafter add all the powdered spices like cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, and saute well.
- Now add the chopped coriander leaves.
- Then add the fried potatoes and mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp of tomato sauce and saute this whole preparation for about 1-2 minutes.
- After that add water to make the gravy.
- Cook them about a few minutes until the potatoes become well boiled. At last, add garam masala powder and give a little mix and put the flame off.
- Your homemade Aloo Matar Recipe or Aloo Mutter is ready to serve.
- In this vegetarian recipe, I skipped the onion and garlic, but you can add in your home.
- Cashew paste is also a very good idea for this Indian cuisine, so I suggest to add 2 tbsp of cashew paste in this recipe and let me know about the taste.
Please check out this video that may help you about this recipe.
Few more recipes:
If you like this recipe please share it with your friends on Pinterest and Twitter. Also, you can subscribe to my blog to get all the latest recipes first on your mobile.
SHARING IS CARING!
FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST
Did you like this recipe and make it later at home? SAVE this pin to your favorite board on Pinterest!