There are a lot of Indo-Chinese recipes available in India, but some of the recipes are on legend position on them. This Drums of Heaven is one of them. This is actually a chicken lollipop recipe, which we tossed in some sweet and spicy sauces. The taste is very excellent and you feel like heaven. It can also be made with drumsticks, but I prefer chicken wings.
Some thoughts that I earned from my experience of this special Indo-Chinese dish – Drums of Heaven. These are:
- Marination: You should have to follow all the steps of chicken marination. It is a very important part of this recipe. The perfect marination can make your chicken juicier from inside.
- Fry the chicken: You should know how much your chicken needs to fry to make it crispier. This crispiness is a must in this recipe to give the perfect feelings. You can double fry the lollipops if need.
- Sauce: This is the last but most important part of this recipe. You can get the different taste in different places of this recipe. Actually, this sauce is customizable. You can customize your taste but one thing remembers, the sauce must be a sticky and thick consistency. I always recommended adding sugar to balance the sweetness of the sauce.
- Extra: If you want to make it in a large number or for any occasion purpose, I recommended making a large batch of chicken lollipop separately. Also, keep the sauce ready on the side. When you need to serve, just fry all the lollipop into high heat oil to add crispiness. then toss them into the premade sauce and serve. The taste will remain the same and the way is very quick to serve hot.
Suggested Recipe: White Sauce Paste
What you will need to make Drums of Heaven?
Chicken: There is an option to choose your favourite one from chicken wings and drumsticks. Many people use chicken drumsticks and many chefs prefer to go with chicken wings. Both are perfect to make the chicken lollipop. Check out the recipe to know how to make the perfect chicken lollipop.
Vegetables: For this recipe, you only need some basic ingredients like ginger, garlic, green chillis, and onions. I prefer to add ginger-garlic paste on chicken marination and finely chopped ginger and garlic to the sauce. Also, you need to chop the green chillies and onions.
Sauces: I noticed many of the professional chefs are using their own made schezwan sauce in this recipe. Trust me this sauce adds an excellent flavour to these lollipops. But you can also alter the schezwan sauce with my remedy. I use tomato sauce, red chilli sauce and soy sauce to make it and add some fried garlic flavour. Check out the recipe for more details.
Cornstarch or Cornflour: This is a thing, that you can notice on maximum Indo-Chinese dishes. We use this cornstarch to make the sauce more thick and sticky.
Garnish with spring onion: Some people prefer to spread some freshly chopped coriander, but I like spring onion, especially the thin sticks. Just chop them and spread them over the drums.
Drums of Heaven Detailed Recipe with Step by Step Photo
We use 10-12 pieces of chicken lollipop which are made from chicken wings. Nowadays we all know how to cut lollipop from wings perfectly, so I did not discuss that in detail, otherwise, the article will be unnecessarily large. You will also find many good videos on YouTube.
All of the pieces are well washed.
Add 2 tbsp of refined oil into it. Oil will helps to bind all the marinades with chicken.
Thereafter add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste along with salt. Some people add chopped ginger and garlic, but it totally depends on you. I always prefer to paste for the marinade.
Also, add 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder.
Add some vinegar. You can also replace it with lemon juice.
Lastly, add 2 tbsp of soy sauce. This will increase the taste of tenderised chicken.
Now mix everything well and let it rest for about 40-45 minutes. The more time you will give, the more your lollipops tastier.
Suggested Recipe – Restaurant Style Soyabean Chilli
Preparation for 2nd marinade:
Take that marinated chicken bowl and add 2-3 tbsp of cornflour or cornstarch.
Now add 4-5 tbsp of gram flour. Now, this is a twist, a maximum of the foodies prefer to add all-purpose flour or refined flour at this time. But this besan is also a good substitute and also healthy.
Add 1/4 tsp of Hot Spice Powder or Garam Masala Powder.
Add chopped green chilli. Also, you can add green chilli paste, it’s very optional.
Now add 1 tbsp of red chilli sauce and 1 tbsp of tomato sauce.
Add 1 egg into it. The egg can help to bind the outer cover also increase the crispiness.
Now mix everything well. The mixture does not have to very watery and not have to hard. It should be normal consistency, you can also check my video to know this perfectly.
It will best if you give it second marination of a minimum of 20 minutes.
Related: Egg Masala Maggie Recipe
Frying the Lollipops
Thereafter heat a wok with refined oil. For deep frying, we need to take the oil to a very high temperature, then keep the temperature to medium-low.
Take the chicken lollipops one by one and put them into the oil.
Fry the lollipops into medium heat until the colour becomes golden brown.
Keep them in a separate container. It is best to keep it on tissue paper, to absorb the excess oil from it.
Related: Dry Chilli Chicken Recipe
Final Part of Drums of Heaven or Make Gravy for Lollipop
Heat 2 tbsp of refined oil into a Chinese wok.
After the oil is heated enough, add previously chopped onion and fry them well.
Now add finely chopped ginger and garlic. Saute them, and always keep the heat on high.
Add the required amount of salt and black pepper powder.
When you feel the nice aroma, add soya sauce, tomato sauce and red chilli sauce into the wok. You can also replace the tomato sauce with schezwan sauce if you like it spicier.
Add 1 tsp of white vinegar.
Mix everything well. Now we need to make this gravy sticky and thicker. For this, we use a cornstarch mixture. Make 1 tbsp of cornflour with 2 tbsp of water mixture into a separate bowl.
Add this mixture into the gravy and stir for a little and you can see the gravy become thicker and sticky also.
Now put all the fried chicken leg pieces one by one into the wok.
Then mix everything well and gently.
Your homemade Drums of heaven is ready to serve. Just garnish with some spring onion leaves and you are good to go.
Also Read: Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Chilli Recipe
Kolkata Style Drums of Heaven Recipe
For Chicken Lollipop
- 12 nos. Chicken Lollipop (Chicken wings cut into lollipop)
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 nos. Green Chillies crushed or finely chopped
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 nos. Egg
- 500 grams Oil for frying
- 1 nos. Onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp Spring Onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Water
1st Chicken Marination
- We use 10-12 pieces of chicken lollipop which are made from chicken wings.
- Add 2 tbsp of refined oil into it.
- Now add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste along with salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder, and vinegar.
- Lastly, add 2 tbsp of soy sauce. This will increase the taste of tenderised chicken.
- Now mix everything well and let it rest for about 40-45 minutes. The more time you will give, the more your lollipops tastier.
Preparation for 2nd marinade:
- Take that marinated chicken bowl and add 2-3 tbsp of cornflour or cornstarch along with 4-5 tbsp of gram flour.
- Add 1/4 tsp of hot spice powder, finely chopped green chilli.
- Now add 1 tbsp of red chilli sauce and 1 tbsp of tomato sauce.
- Add 1 egg into it and mix them all well. Now rest it about 20 minutes for 2nd marination.
Frying the Lollipops
- Now heat a wok with refined oil.
- Take the chicken lollipops one by one and put them into the oil.
- Fry the lollipops into medium heat until the colour becomes golden brown.
- Keep them in a separate container.
Make Gravy for Lollipop
- Heat 2 tbsp of refined oil into a Chinese wok.
- After the oil is heated enough, add previously chopped onion and fry them well.
- Now add finely chopped ginger and garlic, along with salt and black pepper powder.
- Thereafter add soya sauce, tomato sauce and red chilli sauce into the wok.
- Also, add 1 tsp of white sauce vinegar.
- Make 1 tbsp of cornflour with 2 tbsp of water mixture into a separate bowl. Now add this mixture into the gravy and saute for a little to make the gravy thicker and sticky.
- Now put all the fried chicken leg pieces one by one into the wok. and mix them well and gently.
- Healthy Low Carb Mediterranean Tuna Salad Recipe
- Sweet Corn Cheese Balls Recipe
- Shahi Chole Recipe
- Chilli Paneer Recipe
- Keto Egg Salad Recipes
If you like this article about Kolkata Style Drums of Heaven Recipe, please share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also, you can subscribe to my blog to get all the latest articles first on your mobile.
SHARING IS CARING!
FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST
Did you like this recipe and make it later at home? SAVE this pin to your favorite board on Pinterest!